[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43145: Theme and Plugin Editor unable to edit PHP files for Active theme/plugin of Main Site in a Multisite system

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 19 19:51:42 UTC 2019

#43145: Theme and Plugin Editor unable to edit PHP files for Active theme/plugin of
Main Site in a Multisite system
----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  Otto42                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)          |      Status:  new
  testing                         |
----------------------------------+----------------------------------------

Comment (by mjdewitt):

 Hi,

 I recently ran into the issue of Multisite Network Admin unable to edit
 PHP files for themes and plugins on a development server under WP 5.0.3. I
 too found that the fundamental issue is that the loopback requests don't
 use the network admin url (see https://wordpress.org/support/topic/does-
 multisite-run-properly-under-php-fpm-cgi/).

 What I believe also would great is commenting in the code the fact that a
 working "Basic Authorization" is not a requirement of the loopback
 request. Getting "Basic Authorization" working under CGI is difficult, if
 not impossible, depending on the host's configuration. It took me a while
 to chase this down as a "red herring" as underlying request/response
 errors are masked in the UI by the setting of $loopback_request_failure
 with a generic failure message.

 I am still exploring, but haven't been able yet to figure out yet why the
 loopback is needed twice (the check to see if the site is working makes
 sense to me) and I think this is an important question because of the
 hurdles (auth, needle, http, ssl, etc.) the loopback request has to pass
 in order to confirm a change in the filesystem that was already
 successfully made.

 As a concrete example, on my development server, which has a self-signed
 certificate, I have to figure out how I can best manage sslverify as the
 loopback request is insisting on verifying my snake-oil certificate.

 Mike

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43145#comment:4>