[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #18146: Add user-level & front end timezone display flexibility according to a fixed time [GMT:0]

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Feb 15 18:18:30 UTC 2019

#18146: Add user-level & front end timezone display flexibility according to a
fixed time [GMT:0]
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  RanYanivHartstein  |       Owner:  swissspidy
     Type:  feature request    |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by johnjamesjacoby):

 In my second screen shot above, note that the "Choose a city in the same
 timezone as you" helper text is misleading in a multi-author environment,
 because this setting is for the entire site, not for any single user.

 Me setting this to my timezone immediately introduces discrepancies for
 all other accounts outside of my timezone.

 All of those settings ''probably'' belong in their own "Locale" page,
 along with the site language itself. Together, these represent a group of
 site settings that should be fallbacks for when user preferences do not
 exist (like in the case of an anonymous, guest, or non-logged-in account.)

 Also note that WordPress admin does not use these date or time formatting
 settings in many places of the admin-area UI, and that it is entirely up
 to the theme to either use the correct `get_the_date()` or
 `get_the_time()` functions, or manually look for and obey the
 `date_format` and `time_format` options themselves.

 Adding a user timezone setting (in addition to date and time formats) is
 contingent upon us agreeing that it is important for WordPress admin to
 avoid confusion and adjust these values according to them. We have agreed
 on user language so far, and in my opinion, the timezone is just as
 agreeable, as are date and time formats.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18146#comment:47>