[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49069: Multisite: 404 template isn't used in network installs when a file extension is used in the URL

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Dec 23 21:26:31 UTC 2019

#49069: Multisite: 404 template isn't used in network installs when a file
extension is used in the URL
 Reporter:  henry.wright              |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)              |      Status:  new

Comment (by apedog):

 @henrywright
 I've no experience with multisite, so I've no idea why WordPress's default
 .htaccess rules are as they are.
 I was treating this as a support question. Figuring this ticket would be
 flagged as {{{invalid}}} by someone else down the road, I thought I'd
 chime in with an easy solution.

 Adding an {{{ErrorDocument}}} rule by default might be considered an
 opinionated solution, that could affect others in ways I don't know.
 I've no idea if WordPress ''should'' redirect server 404's to a WordPress
 document. And even if so, if it perhaps should redirect to {{{/404.php}}}
 and not {{{/index.php}}}.

 Adding a line of code to your {{{.htaccess}}} is an easy and reasonable
 fix.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49069#comment:6>