[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48953: Improved revision control related to posts and the numerous auxiliary benefits

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Dec 18 14:37:45 UTC 2019

#48953: Improved revision control related to posts and the numerous auxiliary
benefits
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  carike       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by carike):

 Discussions in Slack:
 https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02QB2JS7/p1576159025020500 (link to
 thread).

 {{{
 "Because this is why every drag-and-drop page/theme editor on the market
 sucks.
 The change-trail they create is horrifically designed+managed, and it's a
 performance nightmare.
 And WP's database structure is designed for the complete opposite of this
 approach. ^
 [...]
 Not at all. We're saying that as WP gradually moves towards full site
 editing, the revisions system is too basic and too blunt to support many
 real-world use-cases, both technically and operationally."
 - @jonoalderson

 "You need to remember that a drag-and-drop site builder is mainly created
 for the type of audience who uses Microsoft Word - many will hit Save
 manually after very trivial changes."
 - @carike
 }}}

 @williampatton may be able to assist quantifying the impact of revisions
 on performance.
 William also made the awesome suggestion of considering an additional
 table, to limit the performance impact even further.
 We also believe that a hook will allow for efficient exporting options.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48953#comment:3>