[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47069: Twenty Nineteen: the admin bar on the front end has reduced functionalities and bugs due to jQuery not being used

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Dec 7 21:44:42 UTC 2019

#47069: Twenty Nineteen: the admin bar on the front end has reduced functionalities
and bugs due to jQuery not being used
 Reporter:  afercia                  |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  reopened
  has-patch 2nd-opinion              |  javascript

Comment (by azaozz):

 Replying to [comment:62 dinhtungdu]:
 > @azaozz I agree that we need to keep the jQuery hoverIntent, but I think
 we should use the vanilla JS version for menu and revision to prevent

 Not sure that's "wise" :)

 As I mentioned before:

  Only 3 files are using hoverIntent..
  Yes, but one of them is common.js that gets loaded everywhere in wp-
 admin. So hoverIntent is available everywhere too.

 Currently the jQuery hoverIntent is loaded everywhere in wp-admin. Some
 plugins probably assume it is "always there". For best back-compat we
 cannot stop loading it...

 Ideally we should make a jQuery "wrapper" for the new hoverintent.js (and
 load it with the old hoverintent script-handle so it stays compatible).
 This doesn't seem like a particularly complex task, such wrapper may
 already exist somewhere.

 Given the short time left for the 5.3.1 milestone, thinking for now we
 should continue to load both hoverintent versions, and look at making a
 wrapper in 5.4.

 @dinhtungdu could you test/confirm 47069.10.diff works as expected please
 :)

--