[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48879: Changing Site Admin Email Assumes Username and Who Took the Action (which may be incorrect)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Dec 4 20:12:16 UTC 2019

#48879: Changing Site Admin Email Assumes Username and Who Took the Action (which
may be incorrect)
-------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  MadtownLems  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  General      |    Version:  5.3
 Severity:  minor        |   Keywords:  2nd-opinion needs-patch
  Focuses:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------
 (Note that this is on MultiSite and I don't know exactly how it functions
 on a single site install.)

 I think the email message that is sent when someone updates a Site Admin
 Email Address should be modified as to NOT be addressed: Dear
 CURRENT_USER_NAME, and shouldn't say that "YOU" have recently requested to
 update the email.

 If I want to change the site admin email for a site, the confirmation
 email goes to the new email address (say, a client), but the email says
 "Dear MadtownLems,".  We have had a few cases now where these emails
 alarmed users and thought they were phishing attempts or had been hacked.

 This is very confusing for our users, as they have received an email
 addressed to someone else, and it tells them that they tried to do
 something that they may not have tried to do.  Rather, I believe the text
 would be much cleaner if it said something like:

 "Someone ('MadtownLems') has requested to update the email address for the
 site..."