[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47056: Add 'wp_nav_menu_item_custom_fields' hook in Walker_Nav_Menu_Edit::start_el()

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Apr 27 14:18:10 UTC 2019

#47056: Add 'wp_nav_menu_item_custom_fields' hook in
Walker_Nav_Menu_Edit::start_el()
--------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  MikeSchinkel  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement   |     Status:  new
Component:  Menus         |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  has-patch dev-feedback
  Focuses:                |
--------------------------+------------------------------------
 This is admittedly related to several other tickets, most notably of
 #38904 and #18584.

 However this ticket is very limited in scope as both those expanded in
 scope until they stalled — one of them is 8 years old — but there is a
 ''"Let's not let perfect be the enemy of good"''
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/18584/nav-menu.patch
 solution that has been proposed], is working in at least two plugins, and
 that we could implement trivially today.

 The plugins using this of course cannot be used together because of this
 functionality not being in core and thus each has to declare their own
 version of a menu walker class modeled after `Walker_Nav_Menu_Edit`.

 So I propose we add the following patch to the next version of WordPress
 and then deal with all the other use-cases and concerns later, especially
 because there is proven working code that uses this action hook in the
 wild and adding it would allow those plugin vendors to drop their custom
 Walkers and then their plugins would be compatible with each other.

 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/18584/nav-menu.patch

 Given that WordPress generally views user-experience as the highest
 priority, and it is rather likely that users interested in enhancing menus
 would try more than one menuing plugin at the same time it would seem that
 adding this action hook should be a no-brainer given it will minimize the
 number of problems end-users experience when they try to use more than one
 of these menuing plugins.