[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44450: Functions/methods do not return any value in classes should use @return void in method doc

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 5 11:21:42 UTC 2019

#44450: Functions/methods do not return any value in classes should use @return
void in method doc
 Reporter:  subrataemfluence         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  new

Comment (by subrataemfluence):

 @DrewAPicture I understand what you said. But it is not only about adding
 `@return void` just because of completeness. Rather `Docblocks` should
 probably be written in such a manner so that it gives a complete overview
 of the function itself.

 For example,  we use parameter types along with their descriptions, a
 description of the function itself to explain what a function actually
 does. And we do all these only to make the objective of a function easily
 understandable without even going through its body. And my personal
 feeling is **return type** should also fall in this category.

 I do understand that it would be a lot of update in core coding but having
 a return type even it is `void` will make things more logical from a
 developer's point of view.

 However, since `@return void` has been removed in purpose, I don't think
 it will be taken back anymore. I only wanted to explain the way how I see
 it.

 Thank you!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44450#comment:12>