[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #46623: Site Health: possible confusion with red/orange badges in the "Passed Tests" section

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 4 09:42:16 UTC 2019

#46623: Site Health: possible confusion with red/orange badges in the "Passed
Tests" section
 Reporter:  pbiron                               |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  new
  patch                                          |  administration

Comment (by mdwolinski):

 My apologizes, @hedgefield I'll restrict my comments to the colors.

 The use of colors here is inconsistent with the expectations of the
 average user.  Whether full color or just border, when a user scans the
 list of issues, they are going to inherently feel the red ones, security
 are bad and the yellow ones are just warnings.  Why? Because the use of
 three colors, Red/Yellow/Green, have a consistent meaning pretty much
 anywhere in the world.  I have three uses of that color scheme on my
 screen as I type this to indicate what we expect them to.

 The colors on the badges matches the % indicator at the top, which creates
 an inconsistency in visual messaging to the user between what the colors
 stand for.

 So what is the purpose of the colors?  From the initial post, it's to
 indicate a difference in category, if that's the case, then they should be
 shown in the Passed Tests section as well. And why is the color selection
 Red/Orange?  Sure, Security issues are more important than Performance
 ones, but they're grouped under Critical.

 If the purpose is to indicate Danger/Warning/Good, then they should be
 consistent across categories per grouping (ie Critical should be all red,
 etc).  I'm not suggesting this as I believe most people are against using
 colors as indicators of status.

 Does the category ''need'' colors?  I'd argue they do not and look good
 when they're right aligned without colors.  There are two categories, not
 a large number that I need colors to pull them out of a long list.  Future
 iterations, where more categories are used can reintroduce colors to the
 categories where color choices make more sense to their use.

 At the end of the day, I should be concerned with all issues under
 Critical.  On a mostly white screen, the user's eyes are drawn to the
 colors and Red/Orange imply status of issue from them.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/46623#comment:23>