[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #45492: Add filter to wp_privacy_generate_personal_data_export_group_html for customizing exported HTML

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 3 21:28:03 UTC 2019

#45492: Add filter to wp_privacy_generate_personal_data_export_group_html for
customizing exported HTML
-------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse          |       Owner:  garrett-eclipse
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by xkon):

 @nickylimjj thanks for this patch and welcome aboard officially!

 It's a really clean patch **but** unfortunately there is a case that we
 have to take under serious
 consideration here and I'm leaning towards a `wontfix` for this.

 To make an easy example so it's easily understandable you can use the
 filter from the patch and just add this as an addition on a mu-plugin etc:

 {{{
 add_filter(
         'wp_privacy_personal_data_export_group_html',
         function( $group_html, $group_data ) {
                 return '';
         },
         15,
         2
 );
 }}}

 The result would just be an empty export page.

 Don't get me wrong, but I have to be against this to sleep a little bit
 better at night as I don't like the idea of freely giving the means to
 anyone of "easily" removing or altering anything they like from an export
 that is meant to show intact data.

 Even though I do understand the reasoning behind this filter it seems that
 it can bring way more damage that good if misused.

 The original report on slack as mentioned in the OP was

  Hi there, regarding the personal data report, I'm finding it a bit
 impersonal and uninformative as to what each section means to the end
 user, Is there an option to add a description for each section?

 So the actual issue is that each plugin is most likely just adding it's
 name as a section title to the exporter so simply seeing an "Contact Form"
 doesn't say much really.

 This should be handled by either adding a description field as an "extra"
 implementation to the exporter -or- by communicating to the Authors that
 they should be a little bit more descriptive on each section title as the
 user receiving this export doesn't even know what a plugin is or it's name
 to identify what the section talks about.

 To sum up, I'm in favor of marking this a `wontfix` and opening a ticket
 more aligned with the scope of what's actually needed.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/45492#comment:12>