[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42819: dashicons css: load woff file instead of inline embed base64 code in dashicons.css

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 2 13:41:06 UTC 2019

#42819: dashicons css: load woff file instead of inline embed base64 code in
dashicons.css
-----------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  Matthias Reuter  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  new
Changes (by desrosj):

 * keywords:  has-patch needs-testing => has-patch
 * version:  4.9.1 => 3.8
 * component:  General => Administration
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>

Comment:

 Hi @matthias-reuter,

 Thanks for opening this!

 Any changes to the Dashicons font need to be made on the
 [https://github.com/wordpress/dashicons Dashicons GitHub repository].
 Please open an issue or PR with details about this request.

 Currently, there is [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/src/wp-
 includes/css/dashicons.css#L20 only one font format included in the CSS
 with base64], `WOFF`. I was not involved directly with this decision, but
 I am almost positive it's because the build process used for Dashicons
 only supports creating a `.woff2` file, not `.woff`. But, embedded  `WOFF`
 is still supported.

 Additionally, `WOFF` is an outdated format. It has been replaced by
 `WOFF2`. Only IE cannot use `WOFF2`, so this is maintained for backwards
 compatibility since IE11 is still supported in Core.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42819#comment:4>