[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44671: The "Try Gutenberg" call-out needs an explicit warning for users of assistive technology users and keyboard only users to install the classic editor plugin, complete with its own heading

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Sep 27 12:53:13 UTC 2018

#44671: The "Try Gutenberg" call-out needs an explicit warning for users of
assistive technology users and keyboard only users to install the classic
editor plugin, complete with its own heading
-------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  arush        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by lonelyvegan):

 We're working hard to fix accessibility issues (the date picker for
 instance, a quite large issue, is nearing merge I think), I'm curious if
 screen readers and assistive technologies are made entirely unusable by
 Gutenberg. I didn't think that was the case.

 Instead of encouraging Classic Editor first, I think the order of
 suggestion could at least be changed: let's encourage users to try using
 Gutenberg first–if they encounter issues, inform them of the Classic
 Editor plugin. That's what it's there for, but we should point them to
 Gutenberg first. It could be the accessibility issues that exist are ones
 they won't notice, and in that case it's good to have those users on
 board.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44671#comment:10>