[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #45002: Make Publish, Preview button stick to bottom and introduce Back to Top for Admin

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 26 21:45:36 UTC 2018

#45002: Make Publish, Preview button stick to bottom and introduce Back to Top for
Admin
 Reporter:  s3w47m88     |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
  (bug)                  |
Component:  General      |    Version:  4.9.8
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:  2nd-opinion ux-feedback ui-feedback
  Focuses:               |
 This is apart of a bigger project for my staff and I, you can find the
 context here https://www.theportlandcompany.com/2017/09/10/proposed-
 improvements-to-the-wordpress-ui/.

 Our goal is to clean up the UI with two principles in mind:

 - Context Visibility - Only show something when it's in context.
 - Add With Purpose - If something, such as padding or margins, don't serve
 a purpose, don't add them.
 - Simplify Number of Actions - If a step can be avoided in a process,
 avoid it.

 When a page runs long, users have to scroll back to the top to Publish or
 Preview their work because the Publish panel is fixed to the top of the
 page.

 We developed this Plugin as a solution to this problem:
 https://wordpress.org/plugins/wppc-bottom-publish-button/
 - Introduces a back to top button to eliminate the need for scrolling.
 - Sticks the Publish and Preview buttons to the bottom of the page.

 Built with jQuery. We're happy to make revisions in the interest of
 persuading the WP Core leadership to accept the feature.