[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44538: WordPress does not offer a way to show WHAT changed when it nags me about a change to the suggested privacy policy text.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Sep 22 08:17:11 UTC 2018

#44538: WordPress does not offer a way to show WHAT changed when it nags me about a
change to the suggested privacy policy text.
 Reporter:  ssokolow                             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new

Comment (by garrett-eclipse):

 Replying to [comment:7 javorszky]:
 > @idea15 brought this to my attention while I was working on #44669. My
 question there was "why are we storing the entire text and everything
 along with it in meta instead of storing a hash of the last content and
 comparing that?", however if diffs are an enhancement, then that would
 make sense.
 This makes sense, maybe as a dictionary of hashes so core can
 flag/hightlight individual sections that've changed.

 Replying to [comment:7 javorszky]:
 > A few other questions:
 >
 > * would it make sense to create an internal hidden post type for these
 and add the different versions of the suggested privacy notice texts to
 those? That way the built in diff utility that revisions uses could be
 reused.
 > * for different plugins an internal taxonomy could be used with taxonomy
 slugs as the theme / plugin slugs (with a special one for WP internal)
 > * that also means that we could store the array of IDs of this hidden
 post type against the privacy policy page on the meta thereby reducing the
 amount of data that's getting stored in the postmeta table
 > * versioning could be done according to date, or, potentially according
 to version number of core / plugins. That way one wouldn't need to figure
 out "what version of core was installed on 8th September 2018 at 15:43?"
 I wonder if this advanced functionality of versioning and the ability to
 diff would make more sense as a plugin.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44538#comment:8>