[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44875: register_post_type won't accept menu_position as float (as string) like other admin menu functions do

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Sep 6 13:24:51 UTC 2018

#44875: register_post_type won't accept menu_position as float (as string) like
other admin menu functions do
------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  stiofansisland          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement             |      Status:  new
Changes (by earnjam):

 * version:  trunk => 3.0

Comment:

 Adjusting version to 3.0. Looks like this `is_int()` check was added
 originally back in [14014].

 `add_menu_page()` suggests `menu_position` should be an int in the
 documentation, but doesn't require that and actually seems like you could
 pass a string for that value if you wanted to (though I haven't tested
 that). It ends up doing a `uksort` by `strnatcasecmp` in
 [https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/master/wp-
 admin/includes/menu.php#L246 /wp-admin/includes/menu.php] to determine the
 order.

 If we're going to allow any string (or anything other than integers) to be
 passed for `menu_position`, we should update the documentation for
 `add_menu_page` and `register_post_type` to reflect that.

 Also, @stiofansisland when creating patches, can you do it from the root
 directory? It makes it easier to apply.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44875#comment:2>