[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44588: Denote the Copy action is complete by updating the Copy button to state 'Copied'

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Sep 2 09:17:06 UTC 2018

#44588: Denote the Copy action is complete by updating the Copy button to state
'Copied'
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  new

Comment (by birgire):

 The "Email Data" button, on the privacy export data page, comes to mind,
 as it gives an immediate feedback when it's clicked on.

 But it can only be clicked once, for each page load.

 I think we should be able to click many times on the Copy button, without
 reloading the page.

 I wonder about the following flow, with a javascript timer:

 - Copy button is clicked.
 - Button text changes immediately to "Copied".
 - After {{{n}}} milliseconds, the button text is back to "Copy".

 Another one is to have a label near the button showing the state, but it
 should be cleared when the user copies other sections or makes other
 manual copies of text on the page. For a very long text (many plugin
 sections), this might be slower than the first option.

 Third option could be to not show any feedback at all (status quo).

 ps:

 Here's an interesting discussion I found on the topic:

 https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/40950/what-is-the-best-way-to-
 confirm-something-has-been-copied

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44588#comment:5>