[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #45095: Dashboard links don't always have sufficient color contrast for vision impaired users

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Oct 28 12:33:49 UTC 2018

#45095: Dashboard links don't always have sufficient color contrast for vision
impaired users
----------------------------+--------------------------------
 Reporter:  vrimill         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  new

Comment (by afercia):

 The first report above refers to the primary buttons (the blue ones). I
 wasn't able to find a reference for the second snippet. To my knowledge
 the gray `#999999` is not used for text, more details welcome.

 Some background on the primary buttons: their contrast ratio is 4.15:1 so
 the contrast between background and text is not sufficient. However they
 use a dark text-shadow around the text. This issue was discussed at length
 in the following Trac ticket: #31459 see also the related changeset:
 [34948]

 As accessibility team, we'd prefer a darker background color. However,
 there was no consensus with the design team. As a trade-off, the agreed
 solution was to use a dark text-shadow, as also suggested by this WCAG
 technique: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/G18.html specifically in the
 part:
 > ...or add a thin black outline (at least one pixel wide) around the
 letter in order to keep the contrast ratio between the letter and the
 background above 4.5:1

 I'd agree the WCAG technique suggestion refers to a different use case
 (gradient colors) so this solution may be arguable. As said, the
 accessibility team would just prefer a darker background color.

 Note: I'm not aware of any accessibility automated checker able to take a
 text-shadow into account when checking for color contrast.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/45095#comment:3>