[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #45157: Upgrading from 4.9.9 to 5.0-alpha-43815 with Gutenberg plugin installed gets whitescreen of death

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 24 18:04:46 UTC 2018

#45157: Upgrading from 4.9.9 to 5.0-alpha-43815 with Gutenberg plugin installed
gets whitescreen of death
--------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  timhibberd    |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by mcsf):

 See my brief exploration in
 [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/11019 gh11019]. In short, I
 don't think there's much we can do in core's editor-related files or in
 the plugin.

 ~~@timhibberd, were you running Gutenberg 4.0? Since you didn't mention a
 version, I assume you have the latest found in the directory, which is
 4.0. 4.0 is missing some compatibility measures added in 4.1 (which has
 been in RC stage and is to be released in the next hour). This would
 partly explain the problem.~~ I see Daniel has already raised this point.

 I think the remaining problem may concern the upgrade process itself. Is
 there anything we can change around `update-core.php` to make it more
 robust in case of, say, a plugin behaving poorly?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/45157#comment:17>