[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39595: date_default_timezone_set in wp-settings.php is set prematurely and ignorantly, regardless of other defined settings

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 24 07:05:34 UTC 2018

#39595: date_default_timezone_set in wp-settings.php is set prematurely and
ignorantly, regardless of other defined settings
-------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  mkormendy          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  closed

Comment (by Rarst):

 Replying to [comment:16 Otto42]:
 > I wouldn't go that far. We can do it eventually, but it has to be in
 stages, across a few releases. Unit tests likely come first. Then we have
 a basic test suite to ensure nothing horrible happens by mistake.

 If extension code relies (knowingly or unknowingly) on UTC time zone being
 set it will fail if core stops doing that.

 As above we can, should, and will make ''core'' operate independently of
 this assumption. But even after that we can't stop setting UTC without
 breaking code out there.

 WordPress should never have done this in first place, but since it did it
 is stuck with it forever now.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39595#comment:17>