[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44247: The ability to extract HTML5 canvas image data should be disabled by default in WordPress-based websites

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon May 28 01:06:34 UTC 2018

#44247: The ability to extract HTML5 canvas image data should be disabled by
default in WordPress-based websites
--------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  nzflagmaven   |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed
Changes (by pento):

 * status:  new => closed
 * severity:  major => trivial
 * version:  4.9.6 =>
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review =>
 * keywords:  needs-patch =>
 * resolution:   => duplicate

Comment:

 Per the discussion on #42428, WordPress is not using the canvas image data
 for fingerprinting, it's simply used to detect whether the browser is able
 to render emoji correctly. Unfortunately, there don't appear to be any
 APIs available that can give us similarly useful information.

 Should browsers implement an alternative API we can use for this purpose,
 I'd be more than happy to switch to it. Until then, you should know that
 conflating legitimate use of the canvas image data API with
 fingerprinting, using overly hyperbolic language to describe the
 behaviour, as well as fear-mongering over imaginary GDPR violations, don't
 really make a convincing argument.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44247#comment:2>