[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44202: Link to "Privacy Policy" automatically added to footer of any Twenty XXX theme

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu May 24 14:08:27 UTC 2018

#44202: Link to "Privacy Policy" automatically added to footer of any Twenty XXX
theme
-----------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  Ov3rfly                      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                  |      Status:  new

Comment (by subrataemfluence):

 Replying to [comment:5 Clorith]:

 I understand your point.

 However, what option the admin has if he wants to remove / hide the link
 without contacting the developer? The checkbox will give the ability to
 control the visibility of the link I believe.

 > In [attachment:link-template.diff] your setting makes it so plugins and
 themes can't use the function any more if a setting isn't checked, it's a
 helper function made to return a formatted link and if one exists that
 should remain to be true.

 We can perhaps add this element in $core_options array and set the value
 to `1` so that the checkbox remains checked by default and the link will
 appear if the function is called somewhere. If this could be done, I
 believe plugins and themes can easily use the function. And when admin
 wants he can easily turn it off by unchecking the checkbox.

 > In [attachment:privacy-2.diff] What if my theme doesn't offer the user a
 choice, or I don't provide a fixed footer location, then this checkbox
 setting ends up being misleading to the user.

 This is why I changed the label so that it does not say "footer".

 I may be conceptually wrong but thought it might add to the usability for
 a site admin to control the visibility of this link.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44202#comment:7>