[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44142: Load Order: save_mod_rewrite_rules assumes wp-admin/includes/file.php is loaded

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun May 20 01:09:23 UTC 2018

#44142: Load Order: save_mod_rewrite_rules assumes wp-admin/includes/file.php is
loaded
----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  YuriV           |       Owner:  kraftbj
     Type:  defect (bug)    |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by kraftbj):

 > Also wondering if we should just return early for attempts to flush the
 rewrite rules outside wp-admin instead of making it possible. Seems that
 didn't work/wasn't possible before 4.9.6.

 General flushing of the rewrite rules worked (and still does without a
 fatal), but hard flushes used to not work and now lead to the fatal
 described in this ticket under a perfect storm.
 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/4.9.6/src/wp-includes/class-
 wp-rewrite.php#L1774

 From a performance standpoint, flushing rewrite rules on the front end is
 a bad idea, but I think we should split that off to a separate ticket
 since who knows what plugins have been doing. Since we can reasonably fix
 this issue without doing that, let's not conflate the two issues (loading
 and new code being hooked in an unintended place vs front-end rewrite
 flushing).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44142#comment:16>