[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43546: Add to the privacy tools UX a means to export personal data by username or email address

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 9 16:48:20 UTC 2018

#43546: Add to the privacy tools UX a means to export personal data by username or
email address
-----------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  allendav               |       Owner:  allendav
     Type:  enhancement            |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by iandunn):

 Replying to [comment:65 johnstonphilip]:
 > My fear with the link being in the email (or anywhere outside of a
 logged-in WP session) is how simple it is for someone to say, accidentally
 forward an email. Or say they copy the link and forget it's in their
 clipboard when they paste into an exposed place

 By an "exposed place", do you mean a public terminal, like a
 school/library/etc, where someone else could use it after the WP user
 leaves, and still access the clipboard? Or, did you mean that the user
 pastes the URL into an input field on a malicious website, thinking that
 the clipboard contained some other value?

 I guess in either case, all 3 of those scenarios feel like edge cases to
 me, and outside of WP's direct control. I do think it's good for us to
 consider any reasonable steps we can make to help avoid human error, even
 if we're not directly responsible, but that has to be balanced against
 adding complexity to the code, and the opportunity cost of saying "no" to
 other things, in order to spend the time on this.

 I'd personally lean towards saying that, at least for now, this feels like
 plugin territory to me. Even if that's the consensus, though, that doesn't
 mean it won't ever be included in Core. If those plugins become popular
 enough to show that there's a strong interest in them, or if we discover a
 scenario that's more practical, or directly under WP's control, then we
 can always consider hardening efforts in Core.

 ( If anyone does try to write a plugin, and ends up needing some hooks in
 order to do it, we can always add those too )

 > To be clear, this is not a personal attack on anyone, it's just what I
 feel is a fact.

 No worries at all, I think you've done a great job of articulating your
 opinion while being respectful. You're always welcome to express a
 dissenting opinion; that's crucial to make sure that we as a community
 don't miss things that hadn't been considered. Even if we don't ultimately
 make any changes in Core, I think the discussion is beneficial.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43546#comment:74>