[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42785: Change default of `show_in_rest` in register_post_type and register_taxonomy

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 30 18:44:43 UTC 2018

#42785: Change default of `show_in_rest` in register_post_type and
register_taxonomy
 Reporter:  joehoyle                             |       Owner:  pento
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by youknowriad):

 Awesome thanks @danielbachhuber These links are indeed very helpful to
 understand the whole picture and I agree with the compromises made at that
 time.

 > If we want to transition WordPress to an API-driven world, we need a
 better plan than default show_in_rest=true and hope there's no impact.

 I think it's not "if we want" anymore, WordPress is transitioning to an
 API-driven world with Gutenberg.

 So, it's better we start planning for this now. I propose we define for
 each entity what's public, what's not, what capability is needed to see
 any field. Once done we can add ways for people to force
 capabilities/roles by fields if possible (for example we can't force the
 post title, content to be private in APIs for public CPTs), include
 deprecation warnings and clarify these changes, leave them for some
 releases and start updating. I also think this is not specific to the REST
 API, the REST API is just one API, the same considerations concern any
 other type of API. Imagine we add GraphQL, how do we define which property
 needs which capability since we can't use a global `show_in_rest`, GraphQL
 requests being per field...

 I guess we could discuss these things in the weekly meetings unless you
 think this is set in stone.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42785#comment:28>