[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43443: Add a method for confirmation of requests for deleting or anonymizing of personal data

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 9 15:39:27 UTC 2018

#43443: Add a method for confirmation of requests for deleting or anonymizing of
personal data
 Reporter:  azaozz                               |       Owner:  mikejolley
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by DavidAnderson):

 Mike asked me to post this here (copied from a comment in the WooCommerce
 github):

 > One complex issue that I haven't seen a lot of discussion about for GDPR
 is the need to keep an *external* log of deletion events, so that if you
 have to restore your database/site from a backup, you must then re-delete
 all the data that has been deleted since the backup.

 > i.e. If a user requests deletion of their data, then technically it
 should be deleted from backups too. But, GDPR has allowances for
 technically infeasible tasks - having to unpack your backup, delete data,
 and re-pack it would arguably be in that category. But, if the backup is
 actually used, then the deleted data is back. So, a deletion log has to be
 kept. Obviously having that log in the database itself is no good because
 the backup might be needed because of the database being lost. About the
 only universally available mechanism would be "send an email", and then
 the site owner has to go through his emails. Larger sites would be able to
 use a hook to deploy a more sophisticated method of logging upon every
 deletion event.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43443#comment:11>