[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44377: add filter to post_submit_meta_box() to conditionally refrain from outputting the "Visibility" fields

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jun 15 19:07:58 UTC 2018

#44377: add filter to post_submit_meta_box() to conditionally refrain from
outputting the "Visibility" fields
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  pbiron              |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement         |     Status:  new
Component:  Posts, Post Types   |    Version:
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, administration  |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 I have a CPT that, by it's very nature, always has visibility `public`
 (not private nor password protected).

 Since I don't want users selecting anything other than `public`,
 currently, I enqueue some CSS that hides the "Visibility" related fields
 in the "Publish" metabox on `/wp-admin/post.php` and `/wp-admin/post-
 new.php`, but that just seems kludgy.

 **Note:** in case a "sneaky" user finds my CSS, unhides the fields and
 sets the post to be private or password protected,
 I also hook into
 [[https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/hooks/wp_insert_post_data/|wp_insert_post_data]]
 to "correct" `post_status` and `post_password`.

 It would be helpful if there were a filter in
 [[https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/post_submit_meta_box/|post_submit_meta_box()]]
 to control whether the "Visibility" related fields are output.

 Such a filter would be similar in spirit to the
 [[https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/hooks/view_mode_post_types/|view_mode_post_types]]
 filter in
 [[https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/classes/wp_screen/render_view_mode/|WP_Screen::render_view_mode()]]
 that controls whether the "View Mode" related fields are output in "Screen
 Options".  Prior to `view_mode_post_types` being introduced in 4.4, I used
 to hide those fields via CSS when appropriate.