[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44497: get_page_link() doesn't check if a valid post object is returned before trying to access its properties

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jul 3 14:05:49 UTC 2018

#44497: get_page_link() doesn't check if a valid post object is returned before
trying to access its properties
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  rodrigosprimo      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)       |     Status:  new
Component:  Posts, Post Types  |    Version:
 Severity:  normal             |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                     |
-------------------------------+-----------------------------
 If get_page_link() receives an invalid post ID as the first parameter it
 will generate a PHP notice:

 {{{#!bash
 $ wp shell
 >>> get_page_link( -1 )
 PHP Notice:  Trying to get property of non-object in
 /vagrant/www/wccore/htdocs/wp-includes/link-template.php on line 317
 }}}

 Should a check be added to prevent this notice from happening? I'm happy
 to submit a patch. I'm just not sure what is the best way to handle this.
 Should the function return null if `get_post()` can't find a valid post?
 Should it call `_doing_it_wrong()`? Something else?