[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42855: Add ability to filter header, sidebar, searchform, footer and template_part file paths

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Feb 28 21:52:33 UTC 2018

#42855: Add ability to filter header, sidebar, searchform, footer and template_part
file paths
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  atanasangelovdev  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by joyously):

 Replying to [comment:9 MikeSchinkel]:
 > Why can you not see the need to make the output of a theme valid AMP?
 Why not for JSON?  Why not for Unit Testing?

 I'm not saying that your use cases should not be done, I'm saying that
 they would not be accomplished by filtering the part name, as proposed.

 > > They would be better done as action hooks, which already exist for
 these functions.

 > "pre" action hooks exist, but "post" action hooks do not.
 > So are you saying you would join us in advocating for post action hooks
 to be added to these functions?

 Yes, each of the specific functions has a a "pre" action hook (like
 `get_header` and `get_footer`), but nothing after the template part is
 finished, so the current method would be to know the order they are called
 in so that the next one can do the finish work on the previous.
 Or, add an action for `all`, and apply logic to the action names that
 start with `get_template_part`.
 Or, any filtering of the HTML should be done on the client end.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42855#comment:12>