[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43305: Accessibility Issue in Arranging the Menu Items: I need a combobox for selecting the parent item and a combobox for selecting the item position

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 13 07:03:24 UTC 2018

#43305: Accessibility Issue in Arranging the Menu Items: I need a combobox for
selecting the parent item and a combobox for selecting the item position
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  javad2000        |      Owner:
     Type:  feature request  |     Status:  new
Component:  General          |    Version:  4.9.2
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hello
 I shall firstly thank WordPress team for their utmost attention to
 accessibility standards, which makes WordPress unique among all CMSs. All
 WordPress
 core features are fairly Accessible for me as a blind person who uses
 screen reader (JAWS), but I always have problems with rearranging the menu
 items.
 Although the menu-items are also very accessible for a blind person and I
 can re-arrange them very well, this process is very time consuming for me,
 because;
 for example, if I want to send a menu-item from position 16 to position
 11, I have to press “Move Up” 5 times. The problem is:
 I don’t have any combobox that assigns the mother-item and the item-
 position. Therefore, I have to adjust the positions by moving each item
 one by one,
 level by level.

 Suppose I have a menu with lots of sub-menus and sub-items. Now, I want to
 add 6 new sub-items to the different menus. Of course, when I add them to
 the
 menu, they are at the end of menu. If I want to bring each item to a
 certain position near the center of menu, I have to click “Move up” and
 “Move down”
 one by one for many many times over and over. It takes me about 2 hours to
 rearrange those menu items. I hope I could explain clearly.

 Solution:
 Beside each menu item, there is a link called “Edit Menu Item”. When I
 click on the link, a set of options open up: move up, move down, name,
 etc. I would
 like to have two other options as well: mother-item, and position. For
 example, I adjust the mother-item of “Audio Translation” as “Translation”,
 and I
 adjust its position to “2”, which means subitem number 2 under
 “Translation”. I hope I could explain clearly what I mean. If I can adjust
 the menu positions
 with comboboxes, I will not have to click “move up” and “move down” many
 many times.