[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #45731: Twenty Nineteen: Implement a less aggressive approach for alternate approach for non-latin font fallbacks.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 21 16:22:29 UTC 2018

#45731: Twenty Nineteen: Implement a less aggressive approach for alternate
approach for non-latin font fallbacks.
---------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  kjellr         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)   |      Status:  new

Comment (by pbiron):

 Completely agree!

 I just came across this problem when working on a plugin I'm writing.  The
 plugin includes an icon font (very similar to dashicons) and CSS rules for
 setting that font-family for certain markup it outputs (on the front-end).

 I hadn't noticed it until this morning, but Twenty Nineteen 1.1 and 1.0
 (as officially released, but not any of the pre-release versions I had
 tested my plugin with) breaks the display of my plugin's markup because of
 the aggressive font fallbacks overriding my rules for which markup should
 use my icon font.

 [BTW, I suspect that any plugin which uses dashicons to style things on
 the front-end would also suffer the same problems].

 I have no opinion on the patch, per se, but the problem is **REAL** and
 needs to be fixed.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/45731#comment:1>