[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #45649: Please provide a 'Update Minor' option to the Updates page for minor updates

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 14 17:42:52 UTC 2018

#45649: Please provide a 'Update Minor' option to the Updates page for minor
updates
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request  |     Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |    Version:
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Hello,

 With the most recent security release (thanks to all who worked on that) I
 upgraded numerous sites to 4.9.9 as we're not quite ready for the 5.x
 plunge on all of them.

 To accomplish the update I resorted to wp-cli and the command;
 `wp core update --minor`

 This worked beutifully, but I had to take the time to train some staff on
 using wp-cli and the command line.

 I was hoping along with the `Update` button which updates to the latest
 provide an 'Update Minor' button which would keep the site on the same
 major branch and just make the minor update.

 This is especially handy for security releases where the auto-update
 failed or is disabled as it allows admins to adopt the security fixes
 without having to do a major update.

 Thank you for taking my idea into consideration.
 Cheers