[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43546: Add to the privacy tools UX a means to export personal data by username or email address

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Apr 30 03:17:22 UTC 2018

#43546: Add to the privacy tools UX a means to export personal data by username or
email address
--------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  allendav            |       Owner:  allendav
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by desrosj):

 I looked through core and found that more cron events are registered in
 the admin than the front end, but also not sure why that is.

 `wp_version_check`, `wp_update_plugins`, and `wp_update_themes` are
 scheduled on the `init` hook, but `update_network_counts` is scheduled on
 `admin_init`, `wp_scheduled_delete` and `delete_expired_transients` are
 scheduled in `wp-admin/admin.php`, and `wp_scheduled_auto_draft_delete` is
 scheduled in `wp-admin/post-new.php`.

 I think that this is missing an additional status for requests that have
 passed the expiration time and have had their file deleted. When the file
 is deleted, I think that the request post should be marked as "expired"
 (or something to that effect). As it stands right now (I may have missed
 it), I don't think the request posts themselves would ever be cleaned up
 like the export files. I think this is ok as long as the user is aware
 that the request has expired. The admin can still click the download link
 and a new file will be generated, but from the standpoint of the user
 requesting their data, the request has expired.

 Should an admin have to reinitiate/confirm an export request after the
 expiration time period has passed? Currently, they can still download a
 data export after the expiration time has passed.

 Also, should the user receive an email when their data download expires
 informing them that they need to re-request a data export? Do they see a
 notice when they click on an expired link? My hunch is that they will just
 see the front page of the site, like my testing showed in #43905.

 @iandunn if you see any tickets not accompanied by the proper amount of
 unit tests, please just add the `needs-unit-tests` keyword with a quick
 comment so we can circle back during the beta period.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43546#comment:37>