[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43897: Coding standards: audit a few occurrences of CSS font-weight using keywords instead of numeric values

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Apr 29 10:54:33 UTC 2018

#43897: Coding standards: audit a few occurrences of CSS font-weight using keywords
instead of numeric values
----------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  afercia         |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |    Version:
 Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:  ui              |
----------------------------+-------------------------
 Just noticed a few occurrences of `font-weight: bold;` or `font-weight:
 normal;` have been recently introduced in core.

 As per the [https://make.wordpress.org/core/handbook/best-practices
 /coding-standards/css/#values CSS Coding Standards]:
 > Font weights should be defined using numeric values (e.g. 400 instead of
 normal, 700 rather than bold).

 Rationale: see [37740]
 **Use numeric font weights instead of keywords.**
 > When Open Sans was in use, the 300, 400, and 600 weights were loaded.
 400 is the equivalent of normal; however, bold is equivalent to 700, not
 600. With the move to system fonts, we need to be specific rather than
 relying on the lack of a 700 weight.