[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43546: Add to the privacy tools UX a means to export personal data by username or email address

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Apr 29 00:21:30 UTC 2018

#43546: Add to the privacy tools UX a means to export personal data by username or
email address
--------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  allendav            |       Owner:  allendav
     Type:  enhancement         |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by iandunn):

 Replying to [comment:33 desrosj]:
 > it should only be scheduled when in the admin)

 Hmm, why is that? I would think that there could be edge cases where it
 doesn't get scheduled often, resulting in gaps and files being available
 longer than the expiration. For example, if a plugin automates the request
 confirmation, so that the admin doesn't have to manually visit `wp-admin`.
 I haven't thought it through very deeply, though, so I could easily be
 wrong.

 In [attachment:43546.12.diff], I moved both of the cron functions to the
 file you suggested. Even if the scheduler can be in wp-admin, it seems
 like it might be nice to have them in the same place, since they're so
 closely related.

 * Improve error handling around the zip creation/writing; made sure the
 zip is always closed if even errors happen, and that the report file is
 always removed even if errors happen.
 * Added the `wp_privacy_personal_data_export_file_created` that I
 mentioned towards the end of comment:34, so that plugins can password-
 protect the file if they want. If we decide that the 32 character key
 doesn't provide enough protection, though, then it may not be worth
 keeping this.
 * Applies the coding standards to the functions that were introduced in
 this ticket. Although, now that I think about it, I may have mixed a few
 of them up. I'll have to check later.
 * Creates unit test stubs

 I ran out of time today, so this needs more testing, but writing unit
 tests will go a long way towards that. I've got a lot of commitments this
 weekend, so I don't think I'll have any more time to work on it until
 Monday, in case anyone wants to take over and write tests, etc.

 Speaking of tests, it seems like there's very little coverage for all the
 functions being added (across all tickets). Ideally every new function
 should have corresponding tests. Going back and adding those might be a
 really good thing to do once `4.9.6-beta1` is out.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/43546#comment:35>