[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43880: Add functionality to add an anonymous user an get its ID for anonymization of data related to a WordPress user.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 27 14:05:28 UTC 2018

#43880: Add functionality to add an anonymous user an get its ID for anonymization
of data related to a WordPress user.
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  TZ Media     |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  General      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:  needs-patch gdpr
  Focuses:               |
-------------------------+------------------------------
 When we need to anonymize data that is (or can be) associated with a
 WordPress user, we anonymize it by changing the user ID of that data to a
 user that represents anonymized content. But currently no such user
 exists, so we set the ID to 0.

 In order to display an actual user name (at least for posts), we would
 need an actual user 'Anonymous' that we can re-assign the content to.

 This might be created on WordPress install by default (maybe even with a
 User ID of `0` that we can then hardcode into the anonymized functions),
 or by calling a function like `_wp_privacy_get_anonymous_user_id()` that
 creates the user if not already created and returns the user ID (that
 might be stored in a site_option).