[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #43799: Add a UI and functionality to deactivate gravatar completely (for single site as well as network-wide)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 18 12:34:12 UTC 2018

#43799: Add a UI and functionality to deactivate gravatar completely (for single
site as well as network-wide)
 Reporter:  TZ Media     |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Component:  General      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:  gdpr
  Focuses:               |
 In the standard behaviour, WordPress automatically includes gravatar links
 with every comment, as well as for every logged-in user (as far as I'm
 aware of). This bears the same problem as with embeds (see #43713).

 When the user opens the website in his browser, a third party
 (gravatar.com) gets access not only to the user's IP address, but also to
 his md5-hashed email address. If the user has an account with gravatar, he
 will have accepted the terms of use of gravatar, but I see here the same
 problem as with social media widgets that transfer data without the user
 taking an explicit action other than open a web page without knowing that
 it will transfer data.

 Also it is problematic to transfer hashed email addresses of non-
 registered users. gravatar can't map these to existing user data, but they
 could still build profiles on the hashed email address (though they
 probably won't...).

 So as an admin I should be able to deactivate gravatar completely in
 settings.

 Also, as a superadmin, I should be able to deactivate gravatar network-
 wide.