[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 27 06:18:19 UTC 2017

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  reviewing
  user-testing has-patch needs-      |  javascript
  testing ux-feedback                |

Comment (by celloexpressions):

 >> It should now always sync the search bar, even if it's empty.
 > Seems better, but I think there's a subtle bug still in there.
 Unfortunately, it's very persistent in trying to use the old search term
 here, even if I force a newly-empty term directly into the loader. This
 will need additional investigation post-commit; fortunately, it's a corner
 case.

 > The counter still seems off: if I type VERY quickly "fff" it shows "3
 themes" even if there are none below. Then I try again, and it shows
 correctly "0 themes". This seems to hinting at a race condition of some
 kind.
 I unfortunately don't think that there's a way around this other than
 debouncing the requests even on a local search, which delays results
 unnecessarily. The counting is done as each theme is shown/hidden, so you
 have to type fast enough for multiple simultaneous calls to the filter
 function to outpace each other, which is hard to do when they're doing the
 same thing locally. I wouldn't expact this to come up enough in regular
 usage to be an issue, but adding a debounce and delaying results is a
 potential option.

 > The transparent overlay with the "Setting up your live preview..." is
 too transparent and/or sometimes gets stuck at a alpha too high if it's
 animating and then triggers a page reload. Maybe we can make the
 transition faster, or no transition, and/or a darker alpha? Seems mostly a
 byproduct of the page starting to reload when the alpha is still animating
 tho (Too fast! :D).
 You almost have to be on a local connection for this to happen (page load
 comes back before the animation completes); however, we're currently
 animating for .75s, which is pretty long. .25s feels too fast testing
 quickly, but I think .5s is a good compromise between feeling abrupt and
 slow, so I went with that for now.

 > How do you feel about merging what's done currently, without the
 uploading feature, by EOD tomorrow?
 Sounds good to me. At this point, @westonruter should do a final code
 review (and hopefully commit), and let's continue compiling a list of any
 bugs/cleanup items. Due to the length of this ticket, I'd strongly suggest
 closing as fixed with the initial commit and moving to new tickets for
 additional changes. We can potentially add a generic ticket for UI
 refinement on this, in addition to the uploading ticket, improving the way
 we display the current (and live) theme, and other things that I'm
 probably forgetting about.

 > Update: I just tried the WordPress.org themes again, and this time it
 shows themes. I wonder if this tablet is just too slow.
 @joyously do the screenshots load after you start scrolling? That's one
 issue I've seen happen. It looks like some CSS might be missing, or maybe
 that's an older browser where some CSS needs prefixes? I believe that the
 core build process should take care of that with autoprefixer, but please
 plan to re-test once it's in trunk.

 > theme-browser-current-theme.png​ is a first attempt at integrating the
 current theme into the panel.
 This feels pretty good to me. We also need to try to address the
 distinction between the live and previewed theme when they're different,
 as @folletto mentioned above.

 I was able to fix the other issues mentioned, I think. Please continue
 testing!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:207>