[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41965: WP Cron job not created for future scheduled post (causing Missed Schedule situation later)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Sep 24 07:22:15 UTC 2017

#41965: WP Cron job not created for future scheduled post (causing Missed Schedule
situation later)
 Reporter:  andersheie    |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Cron API      |    Version:  4.8.2
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 Under these special circumstances, when setting a Future Scheduled date,
 no WP Cron job is created for the post. It should be noted this happens
 quite a lot on a daily basis as this is the process I use to create posts.

 I have about 16 already scheduled future posts pending.

 A) Add a new post 3 days in the future using rest API V2, in draft. – No
 WP Cron job is scheduled (Which is expected, as in draft mode).

 B) Edit the post. Change the date one day backwards '''BUT DO NOT PRESS
 OK'''. Press “Schedule” instead. The post date changes, and the page
 reloads, but no WP cron job was added (FAIL).

 C) Continue to edit the post and change the date back and forth (between
 future dates, don't press OK, just press 'schedule' each time. This failed
 twice for me on my little test.

 I ran this sequence 6 times, it failed 2 times using step AB and twice on
 subsequent updates, so in half an hour it was fairly easy to reproduce,
 but not consistent unfortunately.

 Please let me know if you need more information. I doubt that adding the
 post via REST API is the problem, more likely I would guess it's some
 schedule update issue, particularly since I was able to see this changed
 the date long after A and B were performed.

 Btw, I'm using WP-Crontrol plugin to check the scheduled tasks.