[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the Customizer

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Sep 22 20:52:45 UTC 2017

#37661: A New Experience for Discovering, Installing, and Previewing Themes in the
Customizer
 Reporter:  celloexpressions         |       Owner:  westonruter
     Type:  feature request          |      Status:  reviewing
  screenshots has-user-testing has-  |  javascript
  ux-feedback                        |

Comment (by folletto):

 Ok, let's give another go then with a another design iteration, i4. It
 combines the API discoveries outlined in the
 [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:145 comment above]
 (and now on the
 [https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress.org_API#List_of_Themes codex]) with
 the feedback above, and does a riff to the original idea by
 @celloexpressions and @karmatosed.

 Highlights:

 1. Clearly separates local browsing and .org directory browsing.
 2. Upload is handled with an action on the local install to support the
 association between the two.
 3. Search now works TOGETHER with the filters, so both can happen at the
 same time. The API supports it, and we should support it too.
 4. The overall design streamlines the one in WP Admin, reducing the amount
 of "new" UI introduced. It still changes a bit because I think it makes
 things clearer in this context and with the combined search+filters, but
 it's minimal.
 5. By default, the list shows the "New" themes (Latest), when a search or
 filter is initiated it shows the default ranking.
 6. When a filter is checked, the list auto-updates (with the de-bounce
 considerations made above).

 That's all. It seems clearer to me, and the new API behaviour should feel
 more natural. :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/37661#comment:176>