[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42389: Wrong password on confirmation page after manual activation of additional sub sites

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 31 18:44:31 UTC 2017

#42389: Wrong password on confirmation page after manual activation of additional
sub sites
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  joelcj91            |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)        |     Status:  new
Component:  Networks and Sites  |    Version:  4.8.2
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  multisite           |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 In a multisite installation, we use `wp-activate.php` to activate a site
 using an activation key. Normally when users can register multiple sites
 using the same account, we ask them to manually click on activation link
 from email only once (on initial registration). Sometimes when we decide
 to enable manual activation for all new sites (even if the user has
 another site registered already), `wp-activate.php` will show wrong login
 credentials on the confirmation page. This is because
 `wpmu_activate_signup` returns newly generated password which was not used
 as the user account already exists.

 I think currently it is not possible to enable manual activation for
 additional sites from WordPress without using custom plugin/code. But
 sometimes when we require this feature, WordPress will show a wrong
 password on the confirmation page, which will confuse the user.

 [[Image(https://i.imgur.com/Ua3rgEp.png)]]

 On the above screenshot, the password was wrong as the user '''protest'''
 already exist, but WordPress generated a new password. The new password
 was generated to use if new user account is being created. But in this
 case, user account was not created. See `wp-includes/ms-functions.php`
 line `#1031`.