[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42324: Extending the use of the Text widget by adding heading drop down and alignment icons.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 30 04:27:01 UTC 2017

#42324: Extending the use of the Text widget by adding heading drop down and
alignment icons.
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  paaljoachim  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by westonruter):

 @alexvorn2 It's not just my decision. See #35243 for where the decision
 for the limited set buttons appear in the Text widget's TinyMCE editor. If
 you want to have a fullscreen option, then a plugin can be written for it
 (as you [https://wordpress.org/plugins/text-widget-fullscreen/ did]).
 Since widgets are usually in narrow widget areas (sidebars), it makes
 sense that the editor would likewise appear in a narrow widget form. We're
 targeting what the majority of users will find useful for what is included
 in core. Maybe more formatting buttons would be useful in core, but it is
 better to start with few than with many, as it's always easier to add than
 to take away. Plugins can add buttons for users that really need them.
 It's not about what would be cool, but rather again, it's about what would
 make the most sense for the majority of users. See the WordPress
 [https://wordpress.org/about/philosophy/ project philosophy]. Otherwise,
 please do implement plugins for these features which you find useful, and
 if your plugins become popular and widely adopted, then by all means we
 can revisit adding them to core at that time.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42324#comment:9>