[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42351: Customizer: Text widget loses Visual tab data when moved from one widget area to another

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 27 01:07:43 UTC 2017

#42351: Customizer: Text widget loses Visual tab data when moved from one widget
area to another
--------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  melchoyce     |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Widgets       |    Version:  4.8
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:                |
--------------------------+----------------------------
 I moved my text widget to a different widget area, and now the content in
 the visual tab is empty, and I can’t click into the text area. If I switch
 to text, I see the content. Throughout this, I can also still see my
 content in the preview pane.

 If I save, my content remains. Then, if I close and reopen the Customizer,
 it shows back up. There are no related console errors.

 This only appears when I move the Text widget from one widget area to
 another. If I move it around within the same widget area, it's fine.

 @westonruter says:
 > The problem is when the control gets moved in the DOM the editor iframe
 needs to be re-initialized. I think we are accounting for a widget being
 reordered in a sidebar but not when moved between sidebars.

 See attached screenshot and
 https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C0381N237/p1509058118000165.