[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42203: Ensure media & embeds in Text widget are styled properly across widget areas in bundled themes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 25 03:10:51 UTC 2017

#42203: Ensure media & embeds in Text widget are styled properly across widget
areas in bundled themes
----------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter     |       Owner:  davidakennedy
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  assigned
Changes (by davidakennedy):

 * milestone:  4.9 => 4.9.1

Comment:

 I had a few Slack discussions with @melchoyce and @westonruter about this
 ticket. This could be fixed by bundling FitVids with default themes, or
 something similar. But it might be better to bundle the needed
 functionality with core itself, making all the embeds, videos, etc.
 responsive by default. Themes could opt into it with an
 `add_theme_support` statement. This makes even more sense with Gutenberg
 coming in the future, and all kinds of blocks potentially needing this
 functionality.

 For that reason, I'd say we punt this until 4.9.1, and aim for something
 like that.

 Until then, the default themes and the embeds will still look okay in most
 cases, they just won't be full width or fluid.

 Happy to hear other suggestions and thoughts though.

 cc: @joemcgill @bradyvercher in case they want to chime in.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42203#comment:20>