[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42203: Ensure media & embeds in Text widget are styled properly across widget areas in bundled themes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 19 01:08:50 UTC 2017

#42203: Ensure media & embeds in Text widget are styled properly across widget
areas in bundled themes
----------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter     |       Owner:  davidakennedy
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by joemcgill):

 Replying to [comment:11 westonruter]:
 > What if the `width` were to be injected into the embeds? We currently
 have [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/blob/adfa4cd450831fcb96705a7dff94eafb3564e8ef/src/wp-
 includes/widgets/class-wp-widget-text.php#L295-L318 logic] in the Text
 widget to basically override the width that an embed may explicitly
 provide. But it isn't providing //something// in return.

 This logic seems ok when all we're expecting to pass to the callback is an
 instance of a media embed, for which that particular logic seemed to be
 written. In the text widget, however, it seems to apply much too widely,
 trying to match any HTML element included in the text widget.

 A possible approach here might be to try and add a wrapping `div` around
 iframes that appear to contain videos. That said, it's worth noting that
 if you remove the `inject_video_max_width_style` logic from the text
 widget, the same max-width issues that affect the text widget also seem to
 apply to videos included in content, unless handled by the theme. I think
 that's a much better situation than Core trying to over-engineer a
 solution here.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42203#comment:15>