[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42203: Ensure media & embeds in Text widget are styled properly across widget areas in bundled themes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 18 20:58:24 UTC 2017

#42203: Ensure media & embeds in Text widget are styled properly across widget
areas in bundled themes
----------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  westonruter     |       Owner:  davidakennedy
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  assigned
Changes (by westonruter):

 * keywords:   => needs-patch

Comment:

 @laurelfulford Interesting. This is probably why @obenland opted to
 continue using the `video` shortcode for displaying YouTube and Vimeo
 videos in [41765]. I think if we basically rewrote the `embed` shortcodes
 to `video` shortcodes specifically for YouTube and Vimeo it would only be
 a partial fix as other oEmbeds would continue to be broken so we should
 try to find a more general solution.

 What if the `width` were to be injected into the embeds? We currently have
 [https://github.com/WordPress/wordpress-
 develop/blob/adfa4cd450831fcb96705a7dff94eafb3564e8ef/src/wp-
 includes/widgets/class-wp-widget-text.php#L295-L318 logic] in the Text
 widget to basically override the width that an embed may explicitly
 provide. But it isn't providing //something// in return.

 See also what was done in the audio widget in [41886] to add a `max-width`
 style to the player. But it seems like something needs to be done at a
 lower-level to give it `width` to begin with?

 I think it's something that should probably be fixed at the widget level,
 but we can do that as part of this ticket. What `width` injection would
 fix the issue?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42203#comment:11>