[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35974: `@param` tags with `&` in variable names are not parsed as parameters in the developer docs

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 2 21:51:23 UTC 2017

#35974: `@param` tags with `&` in variable names are not parsed as parameters in
the developer docs
--------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  sudar         |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by johnbillion):

 * keywords:  has-patch => needs-patch
 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  worksforme =>
 * milestone:   => 4.9

Comment:

 Re-opening as I think we need to address this in core.

 As @garyj points out on https://github.com/WordPress/phpdoc-
 parser/issues/176, a leading `&` symbol isn't actually a supported
 notation in phpDocumentor's docblock syntax. They should be removed from
 the documentation.

 There are actually several places in core where variables passed by
 reference aren't documented with a preceding `&` symbol. For example
 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/4.8.2/src/wp-
 admin/includes/credits.php?marks=63,65#L56.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35974#comment:11>