[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42718: Video shortcode needs muted attribute for Autoplay to work with Safari 11.0.1+

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 27 21:31:46 UTC 2017

#42718: Video shortcode needs muted attribute for Autoplay to work with Safari
11.0.1+
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  deeptiboddapati  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Shortcodes       |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Safari 11.0.1 disables autoplay on everything that isn't muted by default.
 Link here:

 https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/05/auto-play-block/

 Chrome will disable it starting next year:

 https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/09/google-chrome-block-auto-play-
 video/

 For this reason, if we're including the autoplay attribute in the video
 shortcode, we should add a muted attribute to make it a useable shortcode.

 Other than a code change, we should also update the docs about the
 shortcode here:
 https://codex.wordpress.org/Video_Shortcode

 How to test this now:

 Get on Safari 11.0.1 (or greater)
 Create a post with a video shortcode and an autoplay tag.
 Go to the front end version and see that it won't play.