[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42693: WordPress 4.9 sends an "admin email address was changed" message to you at example.com on new install

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Nov 25 22:52:29 UTC 2017

#42693: WordPress 4.9 sends an "admin email address was changed" message to
you at example.com on new install
--------------------------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  tigertech                             |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)                          |      Status:  new

Comment (by tigertech):

 Replying to [comment:4 Clorith]:
 > Just a quick note, as some stumbling in here may be wondering,
 `example.com` doesn't have a valid MX record, so no emails are actually
 transmitted.

 I know what you mean, but I should note that a message is actually sent to
 {{{you at example.com}}} via your mail server; it just bounces back as
 undeliverable. You'll see it if you have WordPress set to send from a real
 address:

 {{{
 Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 <you at example.com>: Recipient address
 rejected:
     User unknown in virtual mailbox table
 }}}

 But you're right that nobody at example.com is getting mailbombed with
 these, due to the missing X record.

 It would probably be better if the database was initially populated with
 an address "@example.invalid", instead of using a fake address at the real
 domain name "example.com". [https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606 RFC 2606]
 specifies that the ".invalid" TLD is guaranteed never to exist and is
 intended for purposes like this.

 Then the patch could check for an address ending with ".invalid" and avoid
 sending to it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42693#comment:5>