[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42574: MediaElement upgrade causing JS errors when certain languages are in use e.g de_DE-formal

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 22 22:47:03 UTC 2017

#42574: MediaElement upgrade causing JS errors when certain languages are in use
e.g de_DE-formal
 Reporter:  erich_k4wp               |       Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  reopened
  needs-testing                      |  administration

Comment (by joemcgill):

 So it seems we have a few things to consider here:

 1. MEJS added validation
 [https://github.com/mediaelement/mediaelement/blob/4.2.7/build/mediaelement.js#L318-L320
 here] that won't load translation files that don't conform to the expected
 format.
 2. Our formal language files don't conform to the standard, or as @ocean90
 put it, "There's a reason why it's called 'WordPress locale'", which means
 we can either parse WP locales into ISO locales, as @flixos90 suggests in
 @blobfolio suggests in [attachment:42574.diff] and @westonruter suggests
 in [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42574#comment:22 his plugin
 comment above].

 If we're going to parse WP locales, we need to be careful about not
 flattening formal languages into the default languages. If we're going to
 work around the validation, we should do so using an external shim, like
 @westonruter proposed so we're not maintaining a fork of MEJS.

 In the mean time, I'd be happy to ship [attachment:42574.2.diff] for 4.9.1
 if there's a +1 from someone on the Polyglots team.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/42574#comment:32>