[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #42602: WP 4.9 doesn't recognize changes/additions to existing style sheet, forcing use of "Additional CSS" feature as sole css editor

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 17 15:25:02 UTC 2017

#42602: WP 4.9 doesn't recognize changes/additions to existing style sheet, forcing
use of "Additional CSS" feature as sole css editor
 Reporter:  Riavon        |      Owner:
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  4.9
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 WP 4.9 is preventing changes/additions made to an existing external style
 sheet from being reflected on the front end of the site.

 Additional styles added to existing theme/child theme external style
 sheets after upgrading to WP 4.9 are no longer recognized. I was forced to
 use the “Additional CSS” feature in the Dashboard in order to change/add
 new css styles to show up on the front end of the site. The front end of
 the site still reflects pre 4.9 upgrade styles from the external
 style.css, but after 4.9 upgrade any new/added styles will not show on the
 front end of the site. It's forcing me now to use the built in "Additional
 CSS" feature as the only way to see any new/added/changed styles on the
 front end.

 WP website development, started with WP 4.83, was upgraded to WP 4.9
 during development and this bug happened.

 I don’t use the theme editor in the Dashboard to write my CSS. I'm a pro
 WP designer with 10+ yrs of WP experience, so I know that clearing the
 cache is the first line of defense, and yes I ran all the tests: tested in
 different themes including the default theme, all the browsers, etc.,etc.

 I prefer to continue development of this and all of my WP sites using the
 external style sheet editor I started with before I did the upgrade to
 4.9, but with 4.9 it’s not possible.

 NOTE: When I rolled back to WP 4.83 and re-tested everything, all is well.
 Everything with the style sheet/css is back to working perfectly; i.e
 additions and changes made to the existing style sheet are once again
 showing on the front end with WP 4.83.